Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Certification - Youth Program
About the Training:
The NAMI CA Medi-cal Peer Support Specialist Certification Training Webinar, approved by CALMHSA, is devoted to providing individuals peer to peer education and support to those who self-identify as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver, or family member of a consumer with a mental health condition. This serves as a pathway to employment/volunteer positions within the public mental health system, after subsequently taking and passing the Medi-cal Peer Support Specialist Certification exam.
Participants learn behavioral health skills covering the 17 Peer Specialist core competencies as identified by the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS). Topics covered include the recovery model, communication skills, trauma-Informed care, cultural competency, Medi-cal code of ethics and more. Those who complete the 80-hour training will receive a certificate of completion that will be submitted in their application to sit for the Medi-cal Peer Support Specialist Certification Exam.
If interested, please complete the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MPSS_Training_HCAI_Youth_ICP After submitting the online survey form, please send an email to email@example.com for next steps.
- Be at 18 – 26 years of age.
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
- Be self-identified as having experience with the process of recovery from a mental illness or substance use disorder, either as a consumer of these services or as the parent, caregiver or family member of a consumer.
- Be willing to share their experience.
- Have a strong dedication to recovery.
- Agree, in writing, to adhere to the Code of Ethics.
- Successfully complete the training requirements for the Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Certification
- Have access and ability to utilize computer, laptop, and internet connection.
- Must be able to commit and actively participate in the entire 80 hour live online training sessions.
Through the HCAI Peer Training and Placement Program, you can take the Medi-Cal Peer Support Specialist Certification Training with NAMI California. Once you have completed training and received your Certificate of Completion, you will be provided with career counseling and job placement support, either as a volunteer or as an employee with a paid position, within your local Public Mental Health System. NAMI California is working in partnership with five local affiliates to provide these services. These counties include: Kern, San Diego, Butte, Greater Los Angeles and Sonoma.